Over the centuries, the uses of, and life at, Greenwoods has changed several times. In 1947, after the current owner and squire of Stock, Adam Ellis died, the property was purchased by the West Ham Central Mission. A bold new programme for boys under the direction of Gladys and Bill Bodey was put into action. They sought the help of another couple and together they provided support, training and guidance for the boys in their care.
In 1948, the Queen Mother opened Greenwoods as The Country Centre of the Mission. These were particularly difficult years in England. After the retirement of Gladys and Bill, Reverend Ronald Messenger was asked to take charge of Greenwoods.
He remembers fondly the work he and others did at the Mission.
Over recent years, Greenwoods hotel has undergone a huge modernisation programme and has also been extended significantly. Despite these changes, the character, history and charm of the building still remain.